The Placer County Board of Supervisors approved an urgency ordinance to temporarily reduce regulations pertaining to implementation of outdoor dining areas located within Placer County. Established restaurants and mobile food vendors may be permitted to temporarily establish outdoor eating areas by zoning clearance using this application.
Urgency ordinance provisions include:
- Outdoor retail sales: Outdoor sales would be permitted to occupy an area up to 100% of the entire indoor floor area devoted to retail sales. Up to 20% of the required parking spaces could be used as permissible outdoor sales and display areas.
- Restaurants (outdoor dining areas): Existing restaurants may temporarily establish outdoor eating areas and increase flexibility to expand outdoor dining areas to cordoned off parking areas. Mobile food vendors would be permitted to locate fixed-site operations at a specific site through county approval.
- Restaurant parking for outdoor dining areas: Required parking for outdoor dining areas would be reduced by one parking space per 100 square feet of indoor eating area not in use as a consequence of physical distancing requirements.
- Signs (temporary sales and events): The urgency ordinance temporarily suspends the 45-day maximum for the placement of banners, signs or decorative materials to advertise outdoor retail sales uses, grand openings and similar short-term sales events.
- Signs (prohibited signs and sign materials): Businesses may display A-frame signs, inflated and lighter-than-air signs such as blimps and balloons, air-induced signs that “wave,” and portable signs not permanently affixed to the ground or a building support structure.
Content credit: North Lake Tahoe Resort Association