MAP is hiring a full-time Membership Manager to work in our office in Truckee, CA. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact on the future of conservation in the Truckee-Tahoe area, by providing administrative and fundraising support for MAP’s current membership programs and land use advocacy campaigns. Mountain Area Preservation (MAP) mission is to preserve the Truckee-Tahoe region’s mountain character and natural environment for present and future generations.
EMPLOYMENT LEVEL: 32 – 40 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
LOCATION: Truckee, CA
MAP is a thirty-three-year-old, grassroots environmental advocacy non-profit established by longtime locals in 1987 who wanted to protect open space and advocate for responsible development in the Truckee-Tahoe region. Since MAP’s inception, our work has helped to protect more than 6,000 acres from the threats of poorly planned development, working collaboratively to conserve landscapes from Martis Valley to Donner Summit. MAP’s current priority land use campaigns aspire to protect an additional 12,000 acres of critical habitat and large landscapes in North Lake Tahoe, Martis Valley, and Eastern Truckee. As advocates of sound community planning, our work has created community benefits through land use negotiations that have fostered the creation of workforce housing, watershed restoration, parks, trails, and environmental stewardship programs. MAP is a member-powered advocacy group with 1,000+ MAP members that fuel our work by participating in land use advocacy, special events, and community organizing efforts.
The Membership Manager is responsible for managing MAP’s current membership program for individuals and businesses. MAP’s Membership program is an important tool for supporting our grassroots organizing efforts, while keeping members engaged, educated, and active in regional advocacy. The Membership Manager will be responsible for writing membership appeals for direct mail and e-appeals, managing MAP’s CRM database, creating and executing membership communications, donor recognition programs, and helping to coordinate events for membership, land use campaigns, and MAP’s priority special events.
The ideal candidate would have previous experience in a membership-based non-profit. We are seeking a candidate with acute attention to detail, organizational skills for managing a variety of administrative tasks related to MAP’s membership program, and exceptional written-communications skills. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact on the future of conservation in the Truckee-Tahoe region, by providing administrative and fundraising support for MAP’s land use advocacy work. The MAP Membership Manager will be responsible for the following tasks and duties:
- Manage MAP’s membership database for individual and business gifts (Every Action Customer Relations Management (CRM) Platform) including but not limited to:
- Entering new donors and gifts
- Updating and maintaining donor records
- Performing accurate and timely queries, exports, and reports
- Implement strategies to grow MAP’s membership program and monthly membership program, and to re-engage past donors.
- Create membership solicitations and thank you letters.
- Create content for donor outreach materials and solicitations.
- Work with the Executive Director on setting and achieving annual membership goals.
- Create queries and reports to track fundraising success and annual goals.
- Maintain email lists and coordinate data management among volunteer, email, and donor database.
- Coordinate direct mail projects for membership and priority campaigns.
- Conduct fundraising calls to members, volunteers, sponsors, and businesses.
- Track sponsor and major donor benefits.
- Maintain complete and well-organized electronic files on member-related tasks.
- Create fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Communication support for MAP monthly e-newsletter, social media platforms, special events, and land use advocacy campaigns.
- Special event and beneficiary event planning and support. (i.e. Wild & Scenic Film Festival, Sierra Forage Dinner, and campaign events).
JOB REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong commitment to the Truckee-Tahoe environment.
- Strong interest in the nonprofit sector, previous experience preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or non-profit or business-related experience.
- Experience in managing fundraising campaigns.
- Experience with social media and email communication systems.
- Attention to detail for administrative and financial tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Data entry experience required.
- Experience with CRM platforms or databases preferred, but not required.
- Experience with design programs such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign preferred, but not required.
- Function in a team-oriented environment and work independently as required.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, communication, and computer skills.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, outgoing, willing to learn, can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Willing to work beyond the 9-5 as needed for special events and outreach.
- Must maintain a positive and professional spirit when engaging with MAP members, volunteers, and the community.
Hourly wage is competitive with other Northern California not-for-profit conservation organizations; salary is commensurate with experience. A benefits package will be determined for the ideal candidate after a 90 day probationary hiring period (paid time off, holiday pay, and health insurance).
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. A writing sample is requested to demonstrate the candidate’s experience with writing fundraising content. Samples can include past fundraising requests, special event collateral, a blog post, essay, or a drafted solicitation if you do not have an example. This position will be open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application in one PDF file. For questions call the MAP Office, 530-582-6751.
MAP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental or marital status in our organizational programs and activities. We recognize that diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences can only enrich our community, mission, and conservation goals. As part of our intentional efforts to increase inclusivity, equity, diversity, and justice, we encourage applicants from underrepresented groups in conservation. We value relevant skills and experience and encourage you to apply if you have an interest in the position even if your experience is not a perfect match with the requirements.